A couple of weeks ago, I spent a peaceful and informative morning at the Auckland Museum. Tanisha dropped me off and turned me loose. I think there was something else that she had to do, but there might have been some thought that waiting for me to meander through 3 floors of this museum would be not very much fun for anyone except for me. Whatever the reason, I really enjoyed my time there and saw and learned a lot.
A brief description:
- Beautiful stained glass window. (Aren't you glad I told you that?)
- Beautiful statue from the Asian collection
- Beautiful Maori building with amazing intricate carving
- The beautiful inside of an amazing building that has this incredible carving inside and out. I believe this particular building was created elsewhere, and was transported and given to the museum for display. It has some history of spiritual significance, that I am not well informed about, and I can attest to the sense of spirit in this building. Everyone is asked to remove their shoes before entering as a sign of respect.
- A closer look at the (of course) beautiful carving inside. Each beam and each plank of wood has been carved so painstakingly, it seems that the carvings may be an expression of worship.

No comments:
Post a Comment